There is no direct cost to students. Each participating college and university is asked, but not required, to pay a $500 program fee per student. This covers housing, food, and all program materials for the six-day program. NEW Leadership™ is also supported by donations from corporate sponsors and individuals. There is no direct cost to students.
NEW Leadership™ Idaho is open to undergraduate students enrolled for the 2016-2017 academic year in any Idaho college or university, as well as Idaho residents enrolled in out-of-state schools. Any student meeting this criteria and identifying as female may apply. The School of Public Service is committed to including women from diverse socioeconomic, ethnic and racial backgrounds in each NEW Leadership™ program. We strongly encourage women of color, non-traditional college women, and students majoring in all fields to apply.
NEW Leadership™ Idaho participants are required to attend all summer institute sessions and live on campus during the entire program. Once accepted into the program, students will be provided enrollment information. Accepted students are required to confirm their intention to attend, at which point the school will be invoiced for the $500 program fee, or the scholarship activated.
Cancellations made four weeks prior to the first date of the program will be credited back to the sponsoring University at 50%; cancellations made within two weeks of the program are non refundable. The sponsoring University may substitute a waitlisted student at no additional cost.
The application consists of four sections – Personal Information, Essays, References and Acknowledgements. You will have the ability to save your work and return to the application if you are unable to complete it in one sitting. The essay and short answer questions are listed below, please take some time to compose your answers ahead of time.
- List, and take a few paragraphs to describe, any leadership positions you have achieved and any leadership courses or programs you have been involved in. Include month and year. Please note that a lack of experience in this area will not disqualify you from the program.
- Describe any political or community activities you have undertaken or organizations you have been involved with. Why did you participate? How has your participation affected you?
- Why do you wish to participate in NEW Leadership Idaho? What inspired you to apply and what do you expect to gain from your participation in this program?
- Please write a brief paragraph introducing yourself to us. What do you want us – and other participants- to know about you?
- Please submit a resume, no more than two pages.
You will also be asked to provide the Name, Title, Phone Number and Email of three references. At least one of these references must be a professor or faculty member.
NEW Leadership Idaho participants are REQUIRED to attend all summer institute sessions and live in a residence hall at Boise State University during the entire program. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.
The Application Process for 2018 will be March 1 through March 31.