Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I learn who my advisor is?

Lower division advising for Freshman and Sophomore students with 57 or less earned undergraduate credits will be provided by Brittany Sundell.
Upper division students will have a faculty advisor assigned to them based on their area of emphasis and specific needs as a student. Students can view their advisor by logging into their My.BoiseState account and navigating to their Student Center. Contact information for faculty advisors can be found here.

  • How do I change my advisor?

Once students reach 58 credits, they are automatically assigned a faculty advisor who specializes in the student’s declared Area of Emphasis.  Students having a preferred faculty advisor who is not assigned to them may contact the Political Science department at 208-426-1458 to have the advisor changed.

  • When and why should I meet with my advisor?

Advising is required your 1st semester at Boise State. You will have a hold on your account and will need to meet with your advisor before you can register for your second semester. The general rule is to see your advisor to plan and track your steps towards graduation. Additionally, you can check in when you are confused, struggling, or uncertain, and your advisor can help you explore options and help you connect to various resources.

  •  How do I prepare for a meeting with my advisor and what will we discuss?

Prior to the meeting reflect on why you are interested in becoming a political science major, your education goals, and your future career aspirations.

If you are a transfer student, make sure that you have submitted official transcripts to the Registrar’s Office to be evaluated and if they have not yet been posted on your AAR bring a copy of your transcripts with you.

If you want to discuss course selection it is important that you come with an idea of what classes you would like to take in upcoming semesters. To prepare, look over the Boise State University Undergraduate Catalog.

Create a list of questions that you would like to discuss during your appointment.

Come in to the appointment open minded and aware that your advisor will partner with you to provide you with resources and recommendations and it is up to you to make final decisions regarding your academic career.

  • How can I declare and/or change my major, minor, and area of emphasis?

A student seeking a baccalaureate degree must declare a major field of study by the time he/she is classified as a junior (58 earned credits). You also should decide on an area of emphasis and/or possible minor by that time.

If you are an undergraduate student pursuing an academic degree, you can view and change your major, minor, or area of emphasis on your My.BoiseState account. If you have already applied for graduation and/or if you would like to add a second emphasis area, you must contact the Registrar’s office to make this change.

  • What can I do with a major in Political Science?

Please see our List of Sample Occupations and Work Settings for ideas about how a Political Science degree can help you achieve your career goals.